Wednesday, May 13, 2009

5/13/09

I seemed to tolerate my previous round of chemo better than the last couple months. Other than the expected energy suck there was less to deal with. I received a little bit of a promotion at Meals on Wheels, moving from assembling brown bags in the kitchen to baking cakes and cookies. I have made more giant sheet cakes and peanut butter cookies than I care to count. As an added bonus I now know how to work 3 different sizes of Kitchen Aid mixers. Oh Golly the big mixers are huge. The baking at MOW's has taken care of my cravings to bake at home. Which is a good thing for my diet.

Meals On Wheels continues to be a blast. I've met Martin who is 80+ years old. He's a WWII veteran from Germany. He takes food home to feed the fox living around his house. For some reason that makes me laugh. My coworkers all seem to get along pretty well. I told one coworker that "Everybody has a little bit of crazy in them. Some of us are just better at hiding it than others." Which made me realize that I want to let some of my crazy out. Good lord. I better rein it in if I want to receive a decent recommendation.

Today was my first day volunteering at the YMCA. I'll be working at the front desk in 2 hour increments. Right now I'm taking the 5-7 pm slot a couple days a week. If that ends up being a pain for Derek and me I have the option to change my hours. The work is a bit more complex than MOW's, there are binders and schedules and forms along with giving tours. It was funny I was introduced to everyone as "The Volunteer". I felt a little self conscious to be "The Volunteer". I can't tell if I'm the first or not. My guess is that I'm either the first or the last volunteer quit years ago.

1 comment:

Sandy and Doug said...

Jen--You are hilarious! We are coming to town over Memorial Day, and there's details to follow, but save Sunday evening for a BBQ at Scott and Molly's--we'd love to see you and have you (and Derek of course) meet the girls. Glad to hear you are doing well.
Sandy