Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Dec. 29, 2009

For Christmas this year I received a couple writing books. One of the first suggestions is to write about a childhood memory. And I have decided it wouldn't hurt to share my earliest and possibly funniest moment with you.
I must have been between 2 1/2 and 3 years old. We lived in a tiny 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house. It was dark outside so I am assuming it was around bedtime. I remember my mother was changing my sister's diaper on the bathroom counter upstairs, and I desperately wanted to help. Next to my baby sister was a HUGE container of Vaseline. (You get 1 second to guess what happened next.) And lets face it, everything seems big to a 3 year old. I'm pretty sure I was told not to touch the container and I know I didn't listen. I don't remember grabbing the tub, and I know I did because the next thing I remember was being in the kitchen downstairs smearing the greasy sticky stuff everywhere my little hands could reach. This includes and was not limited to the following. The floor, cupboards, knobs, chairs, refrigerator, kitchen table, utensils in drawers, and myself. For some reason I kept the mess in the kitchen and that probably saved me some serious "nose in the corner" time. At some point I realized I was going to be in trouble because I started crying possibly howling. My mother walked in to find the me and the mess I had miraculously created. Now, I don't remember if there was spanking involved or not and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. I only remember that I was never allowed access to the Vaseline while it was in the house again.

I hope you enjoyed the quick story. Happy New Year!

No comments: